Vintage Baby Names That Need to Make a Comeback
These popular names of the past are unique and deserve a spot on the top baby name lists!
If the top baby names lists have you feeling nostalgic for classic names that not every kid on the playground will have, try a blast from the past. These vintage baby names are unique and have so much charm.
When choosing a retro name, look at your own family’s names, surnames, and family history — you may find inspiration for a new-to-you-name.
However, if you’re looking for a classic name to bring to the future, find inspiration with these vintage baby names!
Vintage Girls Names
- Beatrix: This name is derived from the Latin word Viatrix, meaning "traveler."
- Olivette: A variation of the girl’s name Olive, this Latin-derived name means "olive tree."
- Arlene: A name of Gaelic origin, meaning "promise" or "pledge."
- Nellie: Stems from the Latin name Cornelia and means "sun and light" or "shining light."
- Della: This name of German origin means "bright and noble."
- Lena: Comes from the Latin word for "alluring."
- Mabel: This adorable name means "lovable."
- Alice: This German girl’s name means "noble and exalted."
- Colette: This girl’s name is of Greek and French origin, and means "victorious and triumphant."
- Evangeline: A Greek girl’s name that means "bringing good news."
Vintage Boys Names
- Wylie: This British boy’s name means "resolute protector."
- Ellis: An English and Welsh name that means "benevolent."
- Otis: This name means "wealthy" and is of German origin.
- Desmond: This Irish surname means "from South Munster."
- Maxwell: A fun spin on Max, this name means "great spring" or "great stream."
- Frederick: This is an English form of an Old German name for "peaceful ruler."
- Emmet: An English boy's name meaning "whole, universal."
- Theodore: A name of Greek origin that means "gift of God."
- Chester: This boy’s name is English and means "camp and fortress."
- Franklin: An English name that means "freeman."
Vintage Gender-Neutral Names
- Wren: An English name that means "baby bird."
- Billie: This gender-neutral name means"determination" and "strength."
- Perry/Perri: This name started as a surname and means "dweller by the pear tree."
- Blake: An Old English name that means "dark; black; bright; shining."
- Remy: This English name means "oarsman, rower."
- Jennings: This British surname means "Little John" and makes a great name for a boy or a girl.
- Bellemy: A French and Irish baby name that means "good friend."
- Arden: This name has Celtic origins and means "high."
- Ira: This Hebrew name means "watchful."
- Ainsley: This Scottish gender-neutral name means "one’s own meadow."
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: