Questions to Spark Meaningful Conversations at the Dinner Table
Go beyond "how was your day?"
Between work, school, and afterschool activities, finding the time for meaningful moments to connect with your kids can be difficult. The traditional family dinner doesn't have to happen each and every night (again, those busy schedules), but for the evenings when you do get to sit down as a family and share a meal, let’s make the most of that time. Instead of eating and staring at our devices, let’s get our kids talking. But how do you do that?
If you’ve ever asked your kids "how was your day" and all they offer up is "good," it’s time to change up your line of questioning.
When you’re gathered around the dinner table, spark conversations by asking questions that get kids laughing, thinking, and talking. We’ve rounded up questions that can get the ball rolling and the conversation flowing. Try a few of the questions tonight and make dinner together the best part of your day!
How should you use these questions? Start by printing the list out and cut the paper into strips and place all of the questions into a bowl or jar. When you sit down to dinner, take turns pulling out a question and let everyone take a turn answering. Make sure everyone gets time to answer and that you get time to respond. Encourage everyone to ask more questions after everyone responds. Take your time and enjoy the conversations!
Here are 30 questions to start more meaningful conversations with your family during dinner:
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
- If you could visit any place in the world, where would you go?
- What's your favorite book or story right now?
- If you could invent a new ice cream flavor, what would it be?
- What's your favorite animal and why?
- If you could design a pair of shoes, what magical power would they have?
- What's the silliest thing that ever made you laugh?
- If you were a character in a movie, who would you be?
- What's your favorite outdoor activity or game to play?
- If you could have any pet in the world, what would it be?
- Is there a place you would like to visit on vacation?
- What's your favorite food in the whole wide world?
- If you could build the coolest treehouse, what would it look like?
- What's something nice you did for someone today?
- If you could be any cartoon character, who would it be?
- What's a fun joke or riddle you know?
- If you could have dinner with any famous person, who would it be?
- What's your favorite season and why?
- What's the most interesting thing you've learned recently?
- If you could choose your dream job, what would it be?
- What's your favorite family tradition or holiday?
- If you could grow a magical plant, what would it produce?
- What's your favorite school subject and why?
- If you could have a robot friend, what would its name be?
- What's a cool invention you wish existed?
- If you could make a rule that everyone in the world had to follow, what would it be?
- What do you think your parents were like as babies?
- If you could skip school tomorrow (and not get in trouble) what would you do?
- If you could be a famous person for a week, who would you be?
- If you could only eat one food forever, what would it be?
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: