Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Engagement: Here’s What We Know So Far
Everything you need to know about the royal engagement.
November 30, 2017
By: Amanda Mushro
As Prince Harry and Meghan Markle bask in the joy of the engagement--so is the rest of the world. From how he proposed to when will the big day happen, and even a few extra details about who is Harry's wife-to-be--here's everything we know about the royal engagement so far.
- Harry proposed while he and Meghan were having a quiet night at home and were roasting chicken for dinner. Meghan said Harry got down on one knee, and before he could finish asking her to marry him--she said yes. "She didn't even let me finish. She said 'can I say yes, can I say yes?' And then were was hugs and I had the ring in my finger, and I [asked] can I give you the ring?" Prince Harry said.
- Not only is her ring gorgeous--but it was filled with romantic details. The ring setting includes three stones -- one large one in the middle with a small diamond on each side and is set in a yellow gold band. The two smaller stones in the ring are from Harry's mother Princess Diana's personal jewelry collection. The larger stone is from Botswana, where the couple travelled on their first trip together. "Not being able to meet his mum, it's so important to me to know that she's a part of this with us," Meghan said.
- The couple, who have been dating for around 18 months, met through mutual friends that set them up on a blind date. A blind date with a prince--sounds like the plot of a movie!
- Expect a spring wedding that will be televised. While we don't yet know the exact date, the wedding will take place in May of 2018 at St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle. This is a different venue than where Kate Middleton and Prince William were married. They were wed at Westminster Abbey in April 2011. It has been said that St. George's Chapel is a very traditional wedding venue for the royals.
- Don't expect a Princess Meghan anytime soon--sources close to the Royal Family say Harry will become the Duke of Sussex and she will be the Duchess of Sussex.
- While the bride's family usually foots the bill for their daughter's wedding, rumor has it the Queen will pay for the big day. In a statement, Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip said they were "delighted for the couple and wish them every happiness."
So who is Meghan Markle? Here's a little about Harry's bride.
- She is best known as an actor on the television show Suits but has recently said she will be leaving acting behind in order to fulfill her royal duties.
- However, it's her humanitarian work that she is most passionate about. In 2016, she became the Global Ambassador for World Vision Canada and traveled to Rwanda for the Clean Water Campaign. She even wrote on her blog "I've never wanted to be a lady who lunches -- I've always wanted to be a woman who works. And this type of work is what feeds my soul, and fuels my purpose."
- Meghan interned at the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires during her senior year of college. She double-majored in theater and international relations at Northwestern and was the first in her family to graduate from college
- She's been married once. She wed film producer Trevor Engelson in September 2011 and was divorced in 2013.
- She loves rescue dogs and even has two pups named Bogart and Guy.
If you're like us and can't get enough of Meghan's ring, check out more of our favorite celebrity ring bling!
Brides Who Didn’t Wear Traditional Dresses to Their Wedding
Take inspiration from these brides who decided not to wear a dress on their big day and rocked it!
Here's Why More Women Struggle with Insomnia Than Men
Here’s why he’s snoozing away while you’re wide awake
New Study Says Women’s Reproductive Years May Be Increasing
The biological clock just added some more time.
Thinking About Hosting an Exchange Student? Here Are a Few Tips to Consider
How to prepare for your extended guest's stay.
It’s Official: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Are Engaged!
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have officially announced their engagement.
Here’s Why Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Are Sticking to Two Kids
Prince Harry revealed why he and Meghan Markle are only going to have two children.
7 Habits of Couples Who Have Amazing Sex Lives
How to make your sex life more "Drunk in Love" than "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction."
When Mother’s Day Isn’t a Celebration
Mother’s Day can be hard for some, but here’s how you can help.