Mom Hacks for Saving Money This Summer
Five money-saving mom hacks perfect for the summer months.
We love summer and we love summer with our kids. What we don’t love is spending a ton of money looking for ways to keep them entertained, fed and happy all summer long. So instead of breaking the bank during the summer months, here are money-saving mom hacks to make the most out of the warm weather and summer fun with kids.
- Buy Nothing Groups: Instead of filling up your Amazon cart with a bunch of new toys or clothes for summer, you may be able to get these items for free. While you can scoop up kids' gear, toys, and clothes at a discounted rate at yard sales or on Facebook Marketplace, Buy Nothing Groups are the place to find items for your little ones that are absolutely free. Buy Nothing Groups can be found on Facebook and are designed to be hyper-local so you won’t have to travel more than a few minutes to pick up items. Everything offered in these groups is absolutely free, and if you have a particular toy or item in mind, you can even ask the group if anyone has one to gift. It’s also a great way to clear out clutter in your own home. Plus when you are done with the items, you can pass them on to someone else.
- Ditch Swim Diapers: If you have a water baby that loves to splish and splash, save money on swim diapers by ditching the disposable options and grab reusable swim diapers. You'll save a ton of money, they are easier to get on and off of a squirmy baby, and they are much better for the environment.
These swim diapers from Alvababy come in a variety of colors and styles, and since many come with two or three reusable diapers, you can leave one in the car or your diaper bag so that you always have a swim diaper for the days your little swimmer wants to splash around.
- Do Some Free Research: Before paying big bucks to take your kids on summertime adventures, do some research to see what is being offered in your area for free. From the library, museums, and zoos, summer programs are a great way to get your kids out of the house and often they are free.
Also, do a little research to find out when the rates of programs and activities are discounted. This could be early in the morning, mid-week, or find those online coupons to save a few bucks before the fun begins. Try outdoor movies where you pay per family instead of per person or sign up for Kids Bowl for Free to receive free passes for kids to bowl all summer long.
- Use What You’ve Got: Turn your backyard into the place to be with DIY activities that anyone can whip up — yes anyone. You don’t even have to be crafty because we’ll walk you through the steps. We love a good DIY that is easy, saves us money, and makes our kids happy. Kids can play with their favorite summer toys and you can even plan an outdoor movie night.
- Meal Plan to Save Money: During the summer, it can feel like kids are eating non-stop. There’s also a lot of temptation to buy a ton of groceries but then skip everything in the fridge and pantry to eat out and grab food to-go. To save on your grocery bill this summer, try meal and snack planning before you shop. Be realistic about meals — especially lunch and dinner. If you and the kids will be out having some summer fun, the last thing you’ll want to do or have time to do is whip up a big meal. So plan for dinners that are quick and easy or that you can make ahead of time. Once you head to the grocery store, only purchase what is on your list to say on budget. Pack a picnic lunch and fill a cooler with snacks before you leave the house to minimize the temptation to spend money on food.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: