Egg Fried Rice
Recipe courtesy of Annie and David Toborowsky
"Fried rice in Asia has a long history. Many people would take leftover rice and mix it with protein to make fried rice. In Thailand, it is a common breakfast food for students and workers as it has protein and carbs to start the day."
Prep Time: 15-20 min
Cook Time: 15-20 min
- 3-4 cups jasmine rice
- 1 small carrot, cut into small pieces
- 1 tomato, chopped small
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped small
- 1 bunch green onion or scallions, chopped
- 5-6 large eggs
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 5 stems Chinese celery, chopped small (substitute regular celery leaf if not available)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock
- 5 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mushroom sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 lime
- Cook the jasmine rice in a rice cooker. Let it cool in a separate bowl for 2-3 hours. (Leftover rice works best!)
- Heat oil in wok or large skillet at medium-high.
- Add garlic and stir until you can smell the garlic.
- Add eggs, stirring like scrambled eggs.
- Add all vegetables and stir until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium.
- Add rice and stir, mixing everything together.
- Add sauces and remaining ingredients and stir, taste and adjust to your liking.
- Cook about 5-7 minutes until liquids have absorbed into rice.
- Add sesame oil and stir.
- Garnish with lime wedge and squeeze over the rice.
Recipe © Annie Toborowsky(2020); Recipe © David Toborowsky(2020)