Egg Fried Rice
Recipe courtesy of Annie and David Toborowsky
"Fried rice in Asia has a long history. Many people would take leftover rice and mix it with protein to make fried rice. In Thailand, it is a common breakfast food for students and workers as it has protein and carbs to start the day."
Prep Time: 15-20 min
Cook Time: 15-20 min
- 3-4 cups jasmine rice
- 1 small carrot, cut into small pieces
- 1 tomato, chopped small
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped small
- 1 bunch green onion or scallions, chopped
- 5-6 large eggs
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 5 stems Chinese celery, chopped small (substitute regular celery leaf if not available)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock
- 5 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mushroom sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 lime
- Cook the jasmine rice in a rice cooker. Let it cool in a separate bowl for 2-3 hours. (Leftover rice works best!)
- Heat oil in wok or large skillet at medium-high.
- Add garlic and stir until you can smell the garlic.
- Add eggs, stirring like scrambled eggs.
- Add all vegetables and stir until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium.
- Add rice and stir, mixing everything together.
- Add sauces and remaining ingredients and stir, taste and adjust to your liking.
- Cook about 5-7 minutes until liquids have absorbed into rice.
- Add sesame oil and stir.
- Garnish with lime wedge and squeeze over the rice.
Recipe © Annie Toborowsky(2020); Recipe © David Toborowsky(2020)
Why Every Family Needs a Cuckoo Rice Cooker
This smart appliance makes meals so much easier.
New Study Says Children Who Don’t Eat Eggs Before Their First Birthday Are More Likely to Develop an Egg Allergy
Here’s why you can add eggs to your little one's breakfast plate.
Here’s How To Throw the Best Easter Egg Hunt for Kids of All Ages
From toddlers to teens, here’s how to make your egg hunt a hit.
Ask the Nutritionist: How Bad Is Fried Food For You, Really?
Registered dietitian Georgie Fear explains what fried foods do to the body. Learn if fried foods are really that bad for you.
5 Avocado and Egg Recipes That You Will Want to Eat Everyday
For all the avocado lovers out there.
A Fashion Magazine’s ‘Wine And Egg’ Diet from the 1970s Has The Internet Shaking Their Heads
Can you believe this as an actual thing!?