Take Home Chef, Episode 86: Tracy's Menu
- 10 grape tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, very thinly sliced on a Japanese mandolin
- 1 teaspoon/5 ml plus 1 tablespoon/15 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 ears of yellow corn, kernels cut from cob
- 5 x 1/3 cups/1 1/2 liters chicken stock
- 3/4 cup/175 ml heavy whipping cream
- Position the rack 4 inches/10 cm below the heat source of the broiler and preheat the broiler to low heat. Place the tomatoes cut side up on a heavy baking sheet and place 1 slice of garlic on each tomato half. Drizzle the tomatoes with 1 teaspoon/5 ml of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Broil for about 7 minutes or until the tomatoes soften and the garlic is golden brown. Remove the tomatoes from the broiler and set aside in a warm place while you prepare the soup.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon/15 ml of oil in a heavy-based, medium-sized pot over a medium-to-high heat. Add the onion and saut? for 4 minutes or until tender. Add the corn kernels and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a medium-to-low. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until the corn is tender. Remove the pot from the heat and cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Working in batches, transfer the soup to a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Strain the soup back into the pot and bring back to a boil. Stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Return the soup to a gentle simmer, then ladle into 4 serving bowls. Garnish with the tomatoes and serve.