Poached Beef Filet with Baby Winter Vegetables
Take Home Chef, Episode 10: Patrishia's Menu
- 1 quart beef or veal stock
- 8 ounces oxtail or beef shin
- 1 carrot (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 celery stick (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 head of garlic crushed
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 x 7 ounce beef fillets (cut into 4)
- 6 baby carrots (peeled and cut in 1/2 length ways)
- 6 baby parsnips (peeled and cut in 1/2 length ways)
- 3 baby turnips (peeled and cut into 4)
- 1 bunch/8 ounces of baby spinach (stem removed and washed)
- In a large stock pot place the stock, oxtail, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme, bay leave and bring to the simmer. Allow stock to simmer for 2-3 hours constantly skimming the oil and impurity from the top of the stock. Strain stock through cheese cloth and discard the oxtail and all vegetables.
- Return the stock to the heat and bring back to the simmer. Place a fry pan over a high heat and sear the beef fillet on all sides. Remove from hot pan. Add baby vegetables and beef to the simmering stock and cook for 5 min or until vegetables are tender.
- In a hot saute pan wilt the spinach and divide between 4 serving bowls placing the spinach in the center of the bowl. Place the beef and baby vegetables around the bowl and pour the broth into each bowl.