Take Home Chef, Episode 11: Rita's Menu
- 6 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/2- inch pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 1/2 green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounce fillets of monkfish
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup aged balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 200c/425 degrees. Place a small non-stick saut? pan over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook until brown. Set aside.
- Place a large heavy based saucepan over medium heat. Add 30ml/2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the onions and sweat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to sweat for 1-2 minutes. Add the cabbage and the white wine and cook for 5 minutes. Add the cream and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm. Lightly season the monkfish with salt.
- Place a non- stick, ovenproof saut? pan over high heat. Add remaining olive oil. Brown the monkfish on all sides. Place in the oven for 8-12 minutes. Remove pan from oven and place over medium heat.
- Add the butter and cook until butter begins to brown. Remove the pan from the heat and baste the monkfish with the brown butter. Remove the fish and allow to rest for 3-4 minutes before slicing. Place the cabbage on 4 serving plates and divide the slices of fish accordingly. Drizzle with the aged balsamic vinegar.