Episode 85: Aleksandra's Menu
- 1 tablespoon/15 ml olive oil
- 6 pounds/2.8 kg fresh mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup/175 ml dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons/about 5 g finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 5 tablespoons/75 g butter, cut into small cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Additional finely chopped flat leaf parsley, for garnish
- 1 French baguette, warmed and sliced
- Place a large, wide casserole pot or large frying pan with high sides over a high heat. Add the oil then the mussels, shallots, garlic, thyme and bay leaves and toss quickly.
- Add the wine, then cover and cook for about 3 minutes or until the mussels begin to open. Add 2 tablespoons/about 5 g of parsley and toss to combine.
- Place a large saucepan over a high heat and strain the liquid from the mussels through a colander and into the saucepan. Return the mussels to the large casserole pot, discarding any that have not opened. Cover and keep warm.
- Bring the mussel liquid to a boil over high heat and boil for 1 minute, then add the butter and whisk until the butter has melted. Season the butter sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mussels among 4 large serving bowls. Pour the butter sauce over the mussels, sprinkle with the additional chopped parsley, and serve immediately with the warm sliced baguette.