Homemade Waffles with Caramelized Apples and Vanilla Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup/168 g sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/2 cup (1 stick)/113 g unsalted butter
- 6 Pink Lady apples (about 2 1/2 pounds/1.1 kg), cored and each cut into eight 1-inch-wide wedges
- ½ cup/65 g raisins
- 1/4 cup/55 g heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups/245 g all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons/42 g sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons/about 5 g baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon/about 3 g baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon/about 4 g salt
- 1 1/2 cups/360 ml whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons (1/4 stick)/40 g melted unsalted butter
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pints/710 ml vanilla ice cream
- Place a large heavy frying pan over medium heat. Add the sugar. Using a small sharp knife, scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the sugar and add the bean. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the butter. Add the apples and toss to coat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until the apples begin to soften and release their juice Stir in the raisins. Continue to cook, gently tossing the apples occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until the apples are tender but still hold their shape and the caramel sauce forms. Stir in the cream.
- Meanwhile, preheat the Belgian waffle iron. Preheat the oven to 200°F/93°C. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl. In a separated bowl, whisk the milk, egg and melted butter to blend. Add the milk mixture into the dry ingredients, whisking constantly to avoid lumps.
- Ladle about 1/2 cup/105 ml of the waffle batter onto each of the two 4 1/2-inch-/11-cm-square grids or about 3/4 cup/155 ml over a 7-inch-/18-cm-diameter grid on the waffle iron. Cover and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, depending on your iron (most new irons have a timer), or until the waffle is golden and crisp on the outside and cooked through. Transfer the waffles to the oven tray and keep them warm in the oven, while cooking the remaining waffles.
- Cut the square waffles diagonally in half or cut the round waffles into 4 wedges. Place two hot waffles triangles or wedges on each plate. Spoon the caramelized apple mixture over the waffles. Scoop the ice cream atop and serve immediately.