Apple Crisp a la Mode
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35-45 minutes
For the filling:
- 6 cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced (I used macs, maccoun, jonagold)
- Lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the topping:
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup sliced almonds (can also used chopped walnuts or pecans)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
Caramel, vanilla, or rum raisin ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the sliced apples in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice. Add remaining filling ingredients and toss to coat well. Transfer the apples to a 9 x 12 inch baking dish.
- Combine the topping ingredients in the apple bowl and use a pastry cutter, or your fingers, to mix the topping until the it looks crumbly and there are no large pieces of butter visible. Be careful not to blend in the butter completely.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apples. Set the apple crisp in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 35-45 minutes, until apples are bubbling and the crisp topping is browned.
- Remove apple crisp from oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve warm with scoops of ice cream on top.
To see more recipes from this season, check out Kitchen Boss Recipes Season 2.