/

Menu
General

Mom Shares Frightening Video of What a Tick Bite Did To Her Daughter

posted: 05/23/17
by: MIkayla Baiocchi
One mom in Oregon recently took to Facebook to share a frightening video of her daughter experiencing "tick paralysis" in an effort to warn people about the dangers posed by these pesky insects.

According to Amanda Lewis, her daughter Evelyn was acting strange before bedtime, but it was the following morning when scary symptoms truly revealed themselves. She could barely walk, crawl or use her arms, which prompted Lewis to take her to the emergency room where she was diagnosed with a harmful tick bite.

"The doctor talked to us for a minute and said over the past 15 years he had seen about 7 or 8 children her age with identical symptoms and more than likely she had a tick," Lewis recounted. "They looked her over, combed through her hair really well and sure enough found a tick hiding in her hair."

Tick paralysis is likely to be seen in children, but particularly in young females like Evelyn. First, victims will experience restlessness, irritability and/or fatigue followed by paralysis of the lower extremities. If the tick still goes removed, the victim's facial muscles will become very weak. The last and final stage is respiratory failure, which leads to death.

Fortunately for Evelyn, her parents did something about her scary symptoms very early, which Lewis also credits to the knowledgeable doctor.

"I'm so thankful that we got her to the doctor quickly before her symptoms got worse and that the doctor in the ER that day had experience with this otherwise who knows how many tests they would have been doing on her trying to figure out what was wrong!" Lewis wrote on Facebook.

Thanks to the medical attention, Evelyn is back to her normal self now, reports Lewis. She and her husband are "still in shock" that something like this could happen to their little daughter, but they are glad they could spread awareness about it.